John Lewis pulls ‘potentially misleading’ insurance ad
John Lewis has axed its controversial house coverage Tv ad that demonstrates a boy trashing a home right after it was slapped on the wrists by the economic watchdog.
The retailer withdrew the marketing campaign, which ran for just in excess of a fortnight previously this month, after the Money Perform Authority said the advert was “potentially misleading” and “could result in confusion about John Lewis’ new household contents insurance policy offering”.
An FCA spokesman stated: “Economic solutions firms’ advertising will have to be crystal clear, fair and not deceptive.”
John Lewis mentioned that was “absolutely by no means our intention”.
The 60-second advert showcased a boy dancing all around and harmful his home throughout an episode of powerful self-expression.
It sparked a flurry of debate about stereotypes and sexism – the boy is wearing a costume and heels – and regardless of whether promises adhering to these types of destruction in real lifetime would be paid.
John Lewis was compelled to clarify that the coverage only lined accidental and not deliberate hurt.
The office keep chain said it had contacted each and every shopper who purchased the new coverage due to the fact Oct 11 to verify they were happy with the terms and understood them.
“We would like to make clear that accidental injury address is available as an increase-on to John Lewis’s new household contents insurance plan products and only covers accidental (not deliberate) harm,” it stated.
Steve Dresser, a retail specialist, termed it “a different disaster” for John Lewis.